[R] Frequency Spectrum fft plot dillema

Rthoughts seb.brockel at northampton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 15:34:09 CET 2008

Hi,

I have more questions about the fft. The application in Excel is very
limited.

In Excel I can adjust graphs and calibrate the x and y-axis. The input and
process, however, is limited compared to R.

With a Dataset table where one column is the hour difference and the second
are the values with hidden frequencies, how is it possible to plot a
frequency spectrum with the x-axis calibrated to the hour difference where
the left should be infinite frequency and half way to the right should be
the midpoint.

Below is an example dataset with a 24 hour sinusoid that I would like to fft
for assisting with my ability to interpret my output. How do I calibrate the
plot so that the x-axis displays the cycles per that run and the y-axis is
frequency? In the command line, (Dataset$X10, inverse = FALSE, frequency =
24), what does the frequency line specify and and it is related to number of
data points? By doing this am I generating frequencies rather than revealing
them?

Secondly, how to do generate a spectrogram on R? I believe that this one is
where the x-axis is the cycles per data point with the left being infinite
cycles to 0.5 being one cylce per 2 data points and the y-axis is the
amplitude.

Thank you very much in advance if you can help and share your experience/
knowledge. I am progressing with fourier transforms in my research but I am
new to it so that doesn't help.

Thirdly, I came across in my reading that it is a good idea to generate a
correlogram to determine if it is valid to do an fft on the dataset. How
would I go about doing this and how is frequency/ lag determined?

00/01 00:00 4.330
00/01 01:00 3.536
00/01 02:00 2.500
00/01 03:00 1.294