[R] how to read .sps (SPSS file extension)?

Martin Elff elff at sowi.uni-mannheim.de
Tue Nov 25 10:11:31 CET 2008

Hi Livio,

On Monday 24 November 2008 (21:44:45), livio finos wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm trying to import .sps (SPSS portable file) file.
> the read.spss function (library foreign) doesn't allow to import such
> files.
Is this really a 'portable' file (usually these files have the
extension '.por')? Or a fixed column file with an accompanying
syntax file defining value labels and so on?

> should I import in spss and then save as sav file? there is not
> other solutions available?
> what I mostly like from spss file is that they have variable labels.
> want is really wish to keep are the variable.labels from the spss file; so,
> if there is a different way to bring them from the sps file will be also ok
> (I also have a csv copy but without the variable.labels obviously).
> thanks for any answer..

Maybe you could try one of 'spss.fixed.file'
'spss.portable.file' or 'spss.system.file'
from package 'memisc' (on CRAN). The package contains
some features that allow to retain the information
contained in spss's value labels, missing values etc.

HTH

Martin

Dr. Martin Elff
Lecturer