[R] Discrepancy in the PBC data set

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Mon Nov 24 15:28:34 CET 2008

Dear Terry,

Thank you very much for taking your time to address this problem!

I did check the data in F&H.  I couldn't detect any differences between the
R data set and the one in the Appendix.  The preface in F&H acknowledges
that the data set was obtained from Roland Dickinson.  Is the data set in R
created by Tom Fleming based on the original Mayo data?

Where do the papers that reference this data set get their data from?  Do
they get it from the URL that you gave me?  It is impossible to tell from
the papers because they just cite the F&H appendix as the source of the
data, but obviously they must have gotten it as an electronic version from
somewhere.  If so, is the electronic version the same as the R data set?

This is relevant for me because I am trying to compare the results of my
estimation algorithm to that in another paper (which, of course, simply
cites F&H for the data).

Best regards,
Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu