[R] Check for date variable in a arbitrary dataset

Harsh singhalblr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 09:39:38 CET 2008

Hello,
This is my first time posting to the R-help list and I apologize for
the apparent triviality of my query.
I am creating an R script to create Univariate Exploratory Analysis of
a input dataset (No meta-data to provide extra information about each
column)
.
Providing summary statistics is possible in case of numeric data and
using all.is.numeric() from the Hmisc package allows me to filter out
those columns with alpha-numeric content.

I have tried to check if a column is a date field or not, but have not
been able to do so. Are Regular Expressions the only answer? I've also
looked for CRAN packages but haven't found any.
Bering a newbie user of R, I do not possess the requisite knowledge to
write my own function for the above objective.

Thank you for your time
Harsh
Decisions Systems Group
Mu Sigma Inc.