[R] unique columns in a matrix and number of each

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 12:26:45 CET 2008

Define inner as in:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e4/help/08/08/19562.html
and use that with identical to define an inner product:

m <- matrix(c(1, 2, 1,  2, 3, 2), 2) # test matrix
colSums(inner(m, u <- unique(m,,2), identical))

Please provide actual code to create test examples and expected results
when you post. Read the last line to every message in r-help and the
posting guide.