[R] Growth rate determination using ANCOVA

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Sun Nov 23 09:39:31 CET 2008

dschruth <dschruth <at> gmail.com> writes:

...I am
>>worried that our null and alternative hypotheses should be swapped so
> that our test is more conservative (Ho=slopes are different ... ie
> still acclimating.)
>
> Is there a way to specify my model that flips these hypotheses?

No, that not possible because of the "what means different" question. 0.1 ?
0.01? 10?. In medical research, you have to ask the researchers "what is a
medically relevant improvement? An increase in survival time by 1 month?",
and then formulate "the difference is larger than 1 month with p=0.9".
When you ask the researchers to supply the clinically relevant threshold
value, most chicken out, and I remember quite a few fights because the
ethics  committee want it.

Dieter