[R] Create vector of data frames

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Nov 19 17:33:54 CET 2008

On 11/19/2008 11:27 AM, Brigid Mooney wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm sorry I haven't been able to find anything that will help me with this
> problem, and I'm still pretty new to R - so any help here is greatly
> appreciated!
>
> I am looking to create a vector in a sequential process where each entry in
> the vector is a data frame, for example:
>

> days <- 3
> for (i in 1:days)
>   {
>     FOO[i] <- data.frame(x=c(i, i+1, i+2), y=c(i, i*i, i*i*i))
>   }
>
> but when I try this, I get the error "object "FOO" not found".
>
> I tried to avoid this by concatenating blank data frames to create a shell
> for FOO via:
>
> FOO <- rep(data.frame(), times=days)

You want to create FOO as a "list", which is the generic vector type in
R.  That is:

FOO <- list()
days <- 3
for (i in 1:days)
   {
     FOO[[i]] <- data.frame(x=c(i, i+1, i+2), y=c(i, i*i, i*i*i))
   }

Note the use of [[]] indexing on FOO:  FOO[i] would be a list shortened
to just one element; FOO[[i]] is that element.  (This distinction only
matters when working with types like lists.  There's no such thing as a
numeric value that's not in a numeric vector, so x[[2]] and x[2] are the
same thing if x is numeric.)

Duncan Murdoch