[R] Mathematica now working with Nvidia GPUs --> any plan for R?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 07:56:37 CET 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Emmanuel Levy wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I just read an announcement saying that Mathematica is launching a
> version working with Nvidia GPUs. It is claimed that it'd make it
> ~10-100x faster!
> http://www.physorg.com/news146247669.html

Well, lots of things are 'claimed' in marketing (and Wolfram is not shy to
claim).  I think that you need lots of GPUs, as well as the right problem.

> I was wondering if you are aware of any development going into this
> direction with R?

It seems so, as users have asked about using CUDA in R packages.

Parallelization is not at all easy, but there is work on making R better
able to use multi-core CPUs, which are expected to become far more common
that tens of GPUs.

> Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Emmanuel

PS: R-devel is the list on which to discuss the development of R.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk