[R] random value changes in a vector

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 20:19:25 CET 2008

It's generally better to have a descriptive subject as you have done
here but not in your prior psoting.

You might think about how you can use this sort of result:

vec <- c(1, -1, -1, 1, 1, -1)
sample(c(-1,1),length(vec),replace=T)

Perhaps:
vec <- vec*sample(c(-1,1),length(vec),replace=T)

?sample  # should explain how probabilities other than 0.5 can be
specified

On Nov 18, 2008, at 12:11 PM, Salas, Andria Kay wrote:

> To clear up a question regarding my earlier posting regarding random
> changes in a vector:
>
> Say you have a vector (1, -1, -1, 1, 1, -1).  I want each value in
> the vector to have a probability that it will change signs when this
> vector is regenerated.  For example, probability = 50%.  When the
> vector is regenerated, the first value in the vector (1) has a 50%
> chance of switching to -1.  If I regenerated this vector 10 times, 5
> of the times it would switch to -1.

Only "on average" would that be true. It might not switch at all if
the process is truly random.

--
David Winsemius