[R] matrix for diversity functions?

Sharma, Manju m.sharma05 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 17:27:01 CET 2008

Hi,

I have a small simple data frame (attached) -  to compare diversity of
insects encountered in disturbed and unditurbed site.  What i have is
the count of insects -  the total number of times they were encountered
over 30 monitoring slots.

Can someone please check for me to make sure how the 'community data
matrix' for the diversity function needs to be oriented so that i'm
comparing the right sets.

I know that community data matrices mustn't carry characters that aren't
numbers. I replaced my sps. names sp1, sp2, sp3, etc., with just 1, 2,
3.... but not sure what I can replace 'dist' and 'undist' with!

I try this to start with --
insects.div<-diversity(insects, index="shannon")
> insects.div
[1] 0.7242788 0.7485246 0.7298712 0.9012085 1.0366280 0.9470281
1.0466542
[8] 1.0133127 0.6450332

& thats not what i want. Any advice on the matrix format or commands
would be big help!

Cheers,

Manju V. Sharma
Gardenwood East 3.1, Division of Biology,
Imperial College London, Silwood Park Campus
Ascot SL5 7PY
UK
Tel (O): 0044 207 5942360
      (R): 0044 207 8520808