[R] Cannot quit R - fame package issue?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 09:00:10 CET 2008

See the help for .Last:

      Immediately _before_ terminating, the function '.Last()' is
      executed if it exists and 'runLast' is true. If in interactive use
      there are errors in the '.Last' function, control will be returned
      to the command prompt, so do test the function thoroughly.

You can avoid it via arguments to q() (see its help). However, if the
'fame' package has been ill-mannered enough to put a .Last in your
workspace, then you can and should delete it and re-save the workspace.

I can't see the function "validServerIsRunning" in the current fame
package, so it may be a legacy of a workspace from an earlier version.

Packages really should not be using the user's workspace, and in
particular not setting .Last there.  A couple of packages do have .Last in
their space, but it is not guaranteed that their version will be visible:
reg.finalizer() is the way to do this in a package.