[R] Cannot quit R - fame package issue?

Dan Slayback dan.slayback at nasa.gov
Mon Nov 17 22:12:30 CET 2008

Hello list member:

I've recently had a problem in that I'm unable to quit an R Session. I
noticed this after the update to 2.8.0, but I believe I also noticed it
on another machine, in the previous version.  It occurs on both linux
and Mac platforms. It only occurs when I start R in some particular
workspaces that have alot of objects in them; it does not occur if I
start R in an empty workspace. I dont have to do anything in the
workspace after starting R to get this to occur, and no packages are
loaded by default. Here's a summary from a Linux environment:

$ R

R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)
Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

 > search()
[1] ".GlobalEnv"        "package:stats"     "package:graphics"
[4] "package:grDevices" "package:utils"     "package:datasets"
[7] "package:methods"   "Autoloads"         "package:base"
 > q()
Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: n
Error in .Last() : could not find function "validServerIsRunning"
 > .Last
function ()
{
    if (exists("fameRunning") && fameRunning())
        fameStop()
    if (validServerIsRunning())
        endServerSession()
}
<environment: namespace:fame>

As the .Last function is referring to the fame package, I figure it must
be something to do with that. There are objects in the workspace that
require fame to be loaded, but at this point, I have not loaded the fame
package, or accessed those objects. If loaded, the same error occurs
when trying to quit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

Dan