[R] exponential of a matrix

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 14 19:27:14 CET 2008

    DW> In 2004 Martyn Plummer said that functionality was
    DW> available in packages msm (as MatrixExp) and Lindsey's
    DW> rmutils (as mexp)

    MM> Well, these two use one of the very dubious ways mentioned below.

oops!  I'm wrong :   MatrixExp() in 'msm',

does, by default (method = "pade") say to use the recommended standard
algorithm (squaring + Pade + scaling).

Last time this came up on the mailing list, for some reason we
had completely overlooked this one ... or it was not yet
available publicly.
My apologies to Chris Jackson, the msm author, whose function
we've overlooked there.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich