[R] How to enable R on-line search in HTML help

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 14 18:27:48 CET 2008

First, there is a R-sig-mac list for Mac OS questions.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, mauede at alice.it wrote:

> I use FireFox as my favourite web browser on my Mac OS/X 10.5

Which version of Firefox?  There is a known issue with all released
versions >= 3, discussed in the R-admin manual (and R has had a workarounf
in place for a while now).

> I double-checked that Java and Java scripts are enabled for FireFox.
> Nevertheless, I cannot use R on-line search help.

How are you trying to use it?  And what exactly happens?

You might be using help.start (in which case check its help page for the
workaround). Or are you referring to help in the R.app GUI (in which case
this is the wrong list)?

> I called Apple Tech Assistance but they do not support FireFox. We tried to set Saphari as the favourite browser but
> evidently R does not support it.

In what sense?  I've used search in help.start() with Safari in the past:
I even tested it on Windows.

> Does any one knw of a workaround this annoying problem ?

We need to understand the problem first: see the footer to this and every
R-help message.