[R] R run under Emacs fatal errors halt execution

Stavros Macrakis macrakis at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 14 16:46:33 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Why make life difficult for yourself by not using ESS?  ...

Frankly because I was intimidated by the 79-page (!!) manual.  But you
have shamed me into trying it.  Installation was painless, and it
seems to work as expected in the basic cases.

> There is a flag --ess that was added for this purpose (to work around the
> issue in ESS), so look up what it does and make use of it....

I did in fact try R.exe --help, but the explanation given for --ess was opaque.

Thanks for your help,

          -s