[R] R-square in robust regression

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 13 15:02:50 CET 2008

    LP> yes thank you! it is perfect.
    LP> I was using lmrob in package robustbase and it did not have that option in
    LP> the summary.

Yes....

lmRob() from "robust" is from a company which -- often being excellent --
has at times listened much more to its not-so-professional
customers instead of its expert advisors.

So, yes indeed, summary(lmRob(..)) happily reports
something like
  "Multiple R-Squared: 0.620538"  (number: for the stack loss example)

But the question is if the customer should get  R^2  even in
casses where its definition is very doubtful and indeed
somewhat *counter* to the purpose of using methods that are NOT
least-squares based....

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich