[R] Citing R in journal articles (or the failure to)

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Thu Nov 13 14:41:25 CET 2008

Achim Zeileis wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Michael Friendly wrote:
>
>> In two recent in press articles where I cited R packages,
>> I was asked by the copy-editor to add a location or url to the
>> references. Could I suggest that citation() be modified to include
>> the URL automatically?
>
> That's a good suggestion and one that I discussed several times with
> Kurt. The problem is that citation() only looks at the installed
> package which doesn't know where it came from. Thus, I have AFAIK no
> simple means of checking whether a particular package I'm using was
> obtained from CRAN, Bioc, R-Forge, or some local source package.
> Hence, the URL cannot be included automatically.

Right -- hence patching citation() is not a general answer.
> I agree that this would be nice to have. One idea would be that the
> CRAN maintainer adds a line to the DESCRIPTION file upon release to
> CRAN. There are a few ideas how to do this exactly and it's not yet
> implemented.

Well, one solution might be for the build script that runs on CRAN to
add a URL line to the DESCRIPTION file
(if one is not already present), in the same way it adds other lines

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.