[R] metaprogramming with lm

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 02:19:55 CET 2008

Yet again my baroque programming style shows itself. The . notation is
great, although solution 2. is perhaps more versatile, allowing you to
pick and choose your predictors more easily.

On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 11:56 +1100, Bill.Venables at csiro.au wrote:
> Two possible ways around this are
>
> 1. If the x's are *all* the other variables in your data frame you can use a dot:
>
> fm <- lm(y ~ ., data = myData)
>
> 2. Here is another idea
>
> > as.formula(paste("y~", paste("x",1:10, sep="", collapse="+")))
> y ~ x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 + x6 + x7 + x8 + x9 + x10
> >

> (You bore easily!)
>

> Bill Venables
> http://www.cmis.csiro.au/bill.venables/

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.