[R] Citing R in journal articles (or the failure to)

Peter Dunn PDunn2 at usc.edu.au
Tue Nov 11 23:26:50 CET 2008

Hi all

I was reading a paper recently in which I was surprised to see an R package of mine obviously used, without acknowledgement.  Indeed, R itself was used without any acknowledgment.  So I contact the author about these issues, who said (in part):

Regarding the R packages, I used the "tweedie" and "statmod" for my
analyses as you pointed out.
The referee of this paper advised me that it is not needed to cite
"R" because it is a kind of free software different from the
commercial package such as SAS.

What is the logic behind this?  What can be done about it?  That makes me quite angry...

P.

Peter Dunn
Biostatistician
School of Health and Sport Science
Faculty of Science, Health and Education
University of the Sunshine Coast

Tel: +61 7 5456 5085
Fax: +61 7 5430 2896

Email: pdunn2 at usc.edu.au
www.usc.edu.au

CRICOS Provider Number: 01595D

This communication is intended for the recipient only and should not be forwarded, distributed or otherwise read by others without express permission. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of the University of the Sunshine Coast.

believed to be clean.