[R] Variable passed to function not used in function in select=... in subset

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 11 18:31:29 CET 2008

G'day Duncan,

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:37:57 -0500
Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:

> I think this tension is a fundamental part of the character of S and
> R. But it is also fundamental to R that there are QC tests that apply
> to code in packages:  so writing new tests that detect dangerous
> usage (e.g. to disallow partial name matching) would be another way
> to improve reliability.  [...]

Please not. :)
After years of using of R, it is now second nature to me to type (yes,
I always spell out "from" and "to")
	seq(from=xx, to=yy, length=zz)
and I never understood why the full name of that argument had to be
length.out.  I would hate to see lots of warning messages because I am
using partial matching.

Cheers,

	Berwin