[R] Variable passed to function not used in function in select=... in subset

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Tue Nov 11 11:32:27 CET 2008

Berwin A Turlach wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:27:41 +0100
> Wacek Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
>

>> but then it might be worth asking whether carrying on with misdesign
>> for backward compatibility outbalances guaranteed crashes in future
>> users' programs, [...]
>>

> Why is it worth asking this if nobody else asks it?

i guess most of the people who do ask questions here care little about r
itself, they just want it to solve a problem, even if it involves
hacking the language.

those outside the r team who care about language design have probably
left the list long ago, if only they were subscribed.  the fact that
it's only me asking is no statistics.  i do talk to people, and know
many who'd ask, but they just don't care, because they have already
trashed r.  instead of discouraging me, make use of that i care to ask.

vQ