[R] maptools sunrise sunset function

stephen sefick ssefick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 21:27:52 CET 2008

library(maptools)
sunrise.set <- function(lat, long, date, timezone="UTC", num.days=1){
       #this needs to be long lat#
       lat.long <- matrix(c(long, lat), nrow=1)
       day <- as.POSIXct(date, tz=timezone)
       sequence <- seq(from=day, length.out=num.days , by="days")
       sunrise <- sunriset(lat.long, sequence, direction="sunrise",
POSIXct=TRUE)
       sunset <- sunriset(lat.long, sequence, direction="sunset", POSIXct=TRUE)
       ss <- data.frame(sunrise, sunset)
       ss <- ss[,-c(1,3)]
       colnames(ss)<-c("sunrise", "sunset")
       return(ss)
}

I believe that he is refering to the code that I wrote above, which
relies heavily on map tools (to say the least).