[R] maptools sunrise sunset function

Farley, Robert FarleyR at metro.net
Mon Nov 10 20:20:03 CET 2008

I have a time zone problem.

Running the code provided I get the result in UTC, and a lot of warnings
like this:
28: In as.POSIXlt.POSIXct(x, tz) ... : unknwon timezone 'PST'

> sunrise.set(34.11583, -118.18719, "2008-11-14")
                   sunrise              sunset
newlon 2008-11-14 14:25:02 2008-11-15 00:49:09

> Sys.timezone()
[1] "PST"

The result is equivalent to 06:25:02 16:49:09 {PST = UTC-8}
The "correct" values from another source show 06:25 16:50 which agree to
beyond the accuracy of prediction due to atmospheric uncertainty.

How SHOULD I specify the TZ?  I would think that PST is a pretty
"standard" ;-) time zone.

Yes, I steal a lot of code snippets.  I justify it by telling myself it
helps me learn R.

Robert Farley
Metro
www.Metro.net