[R] ubuntu system refuses to update packages

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Mon Nov 10 15:45:50 CET 2008

Le lun. 10 nov. à 00:45, Leon Yee a écrit :

> [...]
>> | tools refuse to update it, and don't tell me why. With apt-get I
>> get :
>> | Reading package lists... Done
>> | Building dependency tree       | Reading state information... Done
>> | Calculating upgrade... Done
>> | The following packages have been kept back:
>> |    r-base (2.7.2-1gutsy0 => 2.8.0-1gutsy1)
>> |    r-base-core (2.7.2-1gutsy0 => 2.8.0-1gutsy1)
>> |    r-base-dev (2.7.2-1gutsy0 => 2.8.0-1gutsy1)
>> |    r-cran-rpart (3.1.41-1gutsy0 => 3.1.42-1gutsy0)
>> |    r-recommended (2.7.2-1gutsy0 => 2.8.0-1gutsy1)
>> | 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
>> | the installation and refuses to go forward, but doesn't show what
>> the
>> | issue is.
>> In cases like this just take the set of packages and pass them
>> directly to
>> 'sudo apt-get install' ie
>>   $ sudo apt-get install r-base r-base-core r-base-dev r-cran-rpart
>> r-recommended
>> which will show which packages this will install (as new), upgrade,
>> or
>> remove, if any.  It still allows you to pack out if you so choose.
>> In this case it is probably 'just' a fortran or c++ library
>> transition.  If
>> you are still running gutsy you are also now two Ubuntu releases
>> behind so
>> you may want to consider upgrading to hardy and/or intrepid.
>> By the way, this would have a good question for the r-sig-debian
>> list.
>> Hth, Dirk
>
> Hi,
>
>   I encountered similar problems:
>
> apt-get install r-base-core
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely
> that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

>  r-base-core: Depends: tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0) but it is not installable
>               Depends: tk8.5 (>= 8.5.0) but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy-security main restricted
> universe multiverse
> deb-src http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy-security restricted
> main multiverse universe
>
> deb http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy universe main
> deb-src http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy universe main
> deb http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe main
> deb-src http://mirror.optus.net/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe main
>
> deb http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/bin/linux/ubuntu gutsy/
>
> deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe main
> deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy-security universe
> main
>

> It seems that R2.8.0 for gutsy is built on a system with tcl8.5 and

 From the CRAN Ubuntu README:

Installation and compilation of R or some its packages may require
Ubuntu packages from the "backports" repositories. In particular, this
is the case for Tcl/Tk 8.5 on Gutsy and Hardy. Therefore, it is
suggested to activate the backports repositories with an entry like

deb http://<my.favorite.ubuntu.mirror>/ hardy-backports main
restricted universe

in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. See http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors
  for the list of Ubuntu mirrors.