[R] unable to install rjags on 64-bit Debian Linux (etch)

plummer at iarc.fr plummer at iarc.fr
Sun Nov 9 11:49:08 CET 2008

Hi Roger,

Try this:

install.packages("rjags",configure.args="--with-jags-lib=/usr/local/lib")

The original sin here is that R is installed in the wrong place. By default,
R is installed into /usr/local/lib64 on 64-bit Linux. But this is a
non-standard location on Debian: it should go in /usr/local/lib.
(The Debian binary packages for R put everything in the right place).

I know the rjags configuration needs a bit of work, but a fully functional
version will have to wait until version 2 of the JAGS library.

I hope this helps. If it does not, then write to me off-list.

Martyn

Quoting Roger Levy <rlevy at ucsd.edu>:

> While I have been able to install rjags on my Windows computer, oddly I
> have been unable to install rjags successfully on my 64-bit Linux
> compute server (etch, Linux kernel 2.6.18).  I am required to specify
> the JAGS module directory upon installation; when doing this within R, I
> get:

install.packages("rjags",configure.args="--with-jags-modules=/usr/local/lib/JAGS/modules/")