[R] unable to install rjags on 64-bit Debian Linux (etch)

Roger Levy rlevy at ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 8 23:31:01 CET 2008

While I have been able to install rjags on my Windows computer, oddly I
have been unable to install rjags successfully on my 64-bit Linux
compute server (etch, Linux kernel 2.6.18).  I am required to specify
the JAGS module directory upon installation; when doing this within R, I
get:

install.packages("rjags",configure.args="--with-jags-modules=/usr/local/lib/JAGS/modules/")

which works fine, but then trying to load rjags gives an error:

 > library(rjags)
\Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared library
'/usr/local/lib64/R/library/rjags/libs/rjags.so':
   libjags.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'rjags'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rjags'

I'm not sure how to read this error.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Roger