[R] help with maps : center on the dateline

Melanie.Abecassis at noaa.gov Melanie.Abecassis at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 7 18:08:41 CET 2008

Hi,
I'm trying to plot a map of the pacific ocean, centered on the dateline, using the maps package.

library(maps) # Basic library to draw maps
library(mapdata)# Library with specialized maps
library(mapproj)

map(database = "world", fill = TRUE, col = 1, plot = TRUE,add=F,
xlim = c(120,300), ylim = c(-20,40))

I tried several different combinations of coordinates, but whatever I try, it doesn't plot anything past the dateline.
Is there a way to plot a map like the one attached, with this package ?

thanks !