[R] replacing characters in formulae / models

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 6 17:28:09 CET 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Christoph Scherber wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> How can I replace text in objects that are of class "formula"?
>
> y="a * x + b"
> class(y)="formula"
> grep("x",y)
> y[1]

What exactly are you trying to accomplish??

And why did you assign 'formula' as the class of a character string?

'y' is not a valid formula object:

> lm(y)
Error in terms.formula(formula, data = data) :
   argument is not a valid model

=====

Perhaps, you need to review

 	?formula

and
 	11 Statistical models in R

from Introduction to R.

Oh, yes. There is the matter of reviewing the _posting guide_ before
posting, too.

HTH,

Chuck