[R] CPU usage on Windows (R 2.7.1)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Nov 5 18:36:38 CET 2008

Borja Soto Varela wrote:
> Dear R-users,
>
> I'm using R (2.7.1) under windows and I've got a function written in R that
> calls a Fortran 77 subroutine using both interface function (.C and
> .Fortran). The Fortran 77 source was compiled to a shared library using g77
> (3.4.5).
> When I call the R wrapper function, it will use the 100% of my CPU during 25
> minutes (the fortran algorithm require a lot of time of execution)  . The
> same thing if you try the next code:
>
>> vec=rexp(20000000)
>> fitdistr(vec,"exponential")
>
> that also use the 100% of my cpu during 30 seconds. In both cases, it makes
> R crash when running another program but If I don't do anything, it runs
> fine.
> Is there any solution to this?. It runs better using Linux?.

Might be a bug in R, the package (i.e. Fortran code) or even with your
hardware (CPU temperature).

Hence I suggest to try again with a *recent* version of R (i.e. R-2.8.0)
and a recent version of the package. It would also be nice if you can
make it better reproducible (I haven't seen it during some quick tries).

Uwe Ligges