[R] IWLS vs direct ML estimation

sandsky realstone at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:42:07 CET 2008

Mike,

Thank you for your valuable reply. I have read Charnes et al. (1976) and
Bradley (1973).  However, they just showed the equivalence of IWLS and ML
solutions, but didn't mentioned the advantage (or disadvantage) of IWLS
comparing with ML estimation.

Charnes, A., Frome, E. L., and Yu, P. L., 1973, The equivalence of
generalized least squares and maximum likelihood estimates in the
exponential family, J. Am. Stat. Assn., 71, 169-171.

I think that IWLS provides the computational flexibility. Because when there
exists no analytical solution, IWLS makes it possible to solve via the
numerical solution.

Do you have any idea for this?

Thank you,

Jinsuk Lee