[R] Input correlation matrix directly to princomp, prcomp

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 18:08:21 CET 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, EVANS David-William wrote:

> Hello fellow Rers,
>

> I have a no-doubt simple question which is turning into a headache so
> would be grateful for any help.
>

> I want to do a principal components analysis directly on a correlation
> matrix object rather than inputting the raw data (and specifying cor =
> TRUE or the like).  The reason behind this is I need to use polychoric
> correlation coefficients calculated with John Fox's hetcor function. Is
> there a way to do this with princomp or prcomp, or any other principal
> components function in other R packages?

See ?princomp, and

   covmat: a covariance matrix, or a covariance list as returned by
           'cov.wt' (and 'cov.mve' or 'cov.mcd' from package 'MASS'). If
           supplied, this is used rather than the covariance matrix of
           'x'.

A correlation matrix *is* a covariance matrix (of scaled data, and scaling
does matter for PCA, of course).

That this is possible is the main advantage of princomp over prcomp.
Compare

> princomp(covmat=cor(USArrests))
Call:
princomp(covmat = cor(USArrests))