[R] How to plot with different colours

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Sun Nov 2 17:03:42 CET 2008

Carlos Morales wrote:

 > Hello everyone,
 >
 > I'm trying to plot 3600 points and my idea is if this value is higher
than 0.35 then this point must appear in green colour, if it's smaller
than -0.35 then values must appear in red and if values are between
-0.35 and 0.35 they must be in yellow. I'm thinking and I'm trying many
things but I don't achieve it. Any idea?.
Hi Carlos,
This may be what you want:

zeep<-rnorm(20)
zeepcut<-as.numeric(cut(zeep,c(-4,-0.35,0.35,4)))
plot(zeepcut,col=c("red","yellow","green")[zeepcut])

Jim

------
At the risk of promoting my own code :-),  if you want to plot lines
with this sort of value-dependent color instead of points (or in
addition),  the function clplot() in the Plotrix package will do it for you.

Carl