[R] robust mlm in R?

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Fri May 30 17:33:39 CEST 2008

I'm looking for something in R to fit a multivariate linear model
robustly, using
an M-estimator or any of the myriad of other robust methods for linear
models
implemented in robustbase or methods based on MCD or MVE covariance
estimation (package rrcov).

E.g., one can fit an mlm for the iris data as:
iris.mod <- lm(cbind(Sepal.Length, Sepal.Width, Petal.Length,
Petal.Width) ~ Species, data=iris)

What I'd like is something like rlm() in MASS, but handling an mlm, e.g.,
iris.mod <- rmlm(cbind(Sepal.Length, Sepal.Width, Petal.Length,
Petal.Width) ~ Species, data=iris)
and returning a vector of observation weights in its result.

There's a burgeoning literature on this topic, but I haven't yet found
computational methods.
Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.