[R] can I do this with R?

Xiaohui Chen chenxh007 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 00:47:49 CEST 2008

Frank E Harrell Jr 写道:
> Xiaohui Chen wrote:
>> step or stepAIC functions do the job. You can opt to use BIC by
>> changing the mulplication of penalty.
>>
>> I think AIC and BIC are not only limited to compare two pre-defined
>> models, they can be used as model search criteria. You could
>> enumerate the information criteria for all possible models if the
>> size of full model is relatively small. But this is not generally
>> scaled to practical high-dimensional applications. Hence, it is often
>> only possible to find a 'best' model of a local optimum, e.g.
>> measured by AIC/BIC.
>
> Sure you can use them that way, and they may perform better than other
> measures, but the resulting model will be highly biased (regression
> coefficients biased away from zero).  AIC and BIC were not designed to
> be used in this fashion originally.  Optimizing AIC or BIC will not
> produce well-calibrated models as does penalizing a large model.

Sure, I agree with this point. AIC is used to correct the bias from the
estimations which minimize the KL distance of true model, provided the
assumed model family contains the true model. BIC is designed for
approximating the model marginal likelihood. Those are all
post-selection estimating methods. For simutaneous variable selection
and estimation, there are better penalizations like L1 penalty, which is
much better than AIC/BIC in terms of consistency.

>> On the other way around, I wouldn't like to say the over-penalization
>> of BIC. Instead, I think AIC is usually underpenalizing larger models
>> in terms of the positive probability of incoperating irrevalent
>> variables in linear models.
>
> If you put some constraints on the process (e.g., if using AIC to find
> the optimum penalty in penalized maximum likelihood estimation), AIC
> works very well and BIC results if far too much shrinkage
> (underfitting).  If using a dangerous process such as stepwise
> variable selection, the more conservative BIC may be better in some
> sense, worse in others.  The main problem with stepwise variable
> selection is the use of significance levels for entry below 1.0 and
> especially below 0.1.
What's the point to use AIC on penalized MLE? I think generally you can
view the penalty as the prior regularization and using certain
optimization algorithm to find the MAP estimate.