[R] need help for building R in Ubuntu 8.04

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed May 28 14:29:10 CEST 2008

    EH> Try: ./configure --with-x=no

well......  no!  really don't.

If you want to enjoy a Linux system and building from the
source, and then maybe learn how that is happening, learning
about shell scripts and 'make' and ...
then rather do get the extra ubuntu packages needed.

The advice (below) to get the 'xorg-dev'
is definitely good advice. I have it on the list of packages
I'd always want to install in addition to the basic
ubuntu/debian list.

But you most probably will find that you need a few more tools /
libraries / headers for your ubuntu system such that you can
build R with all the bells and whistles possible.

There's the Debian (and "hence" Ubuntu) package
'r-base-dev'
which contains 'r-base' (i.e. a *binary* version of R; the one
Dirk Eddelbuettel mentioned),
but also most of the compilers/libraries/... that you'd want to
build R from the sources.

Last time I did get 'r-base-dev' on a "virgin" ubuntu system,
I vaguely remember that it did not contain *really* all the
tools I'd wanted, but almost all.
e.g., you may also want the two packages

  tcl8.4-dev
  tk8.4-dev

which probably are not in the dependencies of 'r-base-dev'.

---
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich