[R] GMM estimation

Markus Jäntti mjantti at abo.fi
Wed May 28 02:49:34 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:38 -0700, Horace Tso wrote:
> Leo, do you mean GMM as in Generalized Method of Moment? If so i've posted a similar
>  question here before and the answer appears to be none at this time.

Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) is an estimation method that can be
applied to estimate the parameters of a statistical model in very many
different situations, including Generalized Least Squares and Systems of
Regression Equations. It is in fact quite possible that some R packages
do, in fact, use GMM to estimate the parameters. However, any GMM
estimation problem can be set up in R by estimating the empirical
moments and setting up the quadratic function in the moment conditions
as a function of the parameters to be estimated. The resulting function
can then be estimated using one of the optimisers, for instance optim.
See ?optim. In some cases, GMM can be estimated by applying OLS
(?lm; if the moment conditions are linear in the parameters) to the
suitably transformed problem, or, non-linear regression (nls).

Thus, there is no general answer to that question other than that in any
GMM problem, you can use general optimization routines to estimate the
parameters.

Markus