[R] R package to solve the following maximization problem

H. W. Borchers hwborchers at gmail.com
Tue May 27 12:38:52 CEST 2008

thierrydb <thierrydb <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if there's a package in R to solve the following
> problem:
>
> Let's consider a cloud of points in a n-dimensional space. Each point
> is associated to a specific value Vi (a real that can be positive or
> negative).
> I would like to find the n-dimensional hypercube that maximizes the
> sum of Vi corresponding to the points inside of the hypercube.

Sounds more like a discrete optimization problem (e.g., knapsack-like).
Maybe you are able to reformulate your original task to make it a linear
programming or mixed-integer linear programming problem.

Anyway, please have a look at the new "Optimization and Mathematical
Programming" Task View

    http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Optimization.html

to find (almost) all R packages related to optimization.

Regards,  Hans Werner