[R] need help for building R in Ubuntu 8.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun May 25 20:19:53 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 12:12:56PM -0600, Nitesh Agrawal wrote:
> Hi everyone
> I have been trying to build R in ubuntu 8.04 from its source code but am
> getting the following error.
>
> configure: error: --with-x=yes (default) and X11 headers/libs are not
> available
>
> Please help me and consider me a newbie in linux

Well, some kind folks are doing the work for you. So as mentioned in the R FAQ,
why don't you use what the CRAN mirrors provide under bin/linux/ubuntu and just install
the binary packages?

Start here:

	http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

or use your country mirror as e.g. cran.us.r-project.org, cran.ca.r-project.org, ...

Dirk