[R] Solving 100th order equation

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Sat May 24 17:00:07 CEST 2008

At 07:58 AM 5/24/2008, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>Shubha Vishwanath Karanth wrote:
>>To apply uniroot I don't even know the interval values... Does
>>numerical methods help me? Or any other method?
>>

>I forgot:  we also have polyroot().
>Duncan Murdoch
>>Thanks and Regards,
>>Shubha

Finding all of the roots of a 100-th order polynomial on a computer
is not an easy task. It would take move than 100 digits of precision
to do so. A similar problem to finding all 100 eigenvalues of a
100x100 ill-conditioned matrix.

The suggestion to use graphics to find small intervals localizing the
roots of interest first would make the most sense, at least for the real roots.

It is highly unlikely that all 100 roots are needed. Usually the ones
of interest are the one with the largest real part, or the ones
inside the unit circle, or the real roots, etc.

Is this a homework problem?

Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: ral at lcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.            URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                     Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239            Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causas scire"