[R] How to pass variable of for loop on read table text

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Sat May 24 03:16:19 CEST 2008

maybe this should also be a FAQ because i've seen it a lot since I've
been on this list ?

assign each data.frame to a component of a list, rather than to a
component of a dataframe. you also need paste to get the number.

listDFs<-list()

for ( y in 3:10 ) {
  listDFs[[y]]<-read.table(paste("text1",y,sep=""),header=TRUE if there
are headings, whateverelse)
}

listDFs[[1]] will then contain the first data frame, listDFs[[2]] the
second etc.