[R] Preparing high quality figures with tiff as end result

Gustaf Rydevik gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:48:48 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Gustaf Rydevik
<gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently preparing some figures that will be submitted to PloS One.
> In their guidelines they state that they will only accept figures in
> tiff or eps format, with the warning that eps figures will be
> converted to tiff format ( see
> http://www.plosone.org/static/figureGuidelines.action ).
>
> Because of this conversion, I figured I'd generate tiff-format figures
> from the beginning.
> However, a number of issues cropped up:
> 1) using
>
> library(Cairo)
> CairoTIFF("test.tif")
>
> I get " Sorry, this Cairo was compiled without tiff support.". I tried
> finding out how to recompile Cairo, but got lost in a lot of confusing
> talk about GTK+, downloaded dll files that I didn't know how to use
> etc.
>
> so I turned to plain tiff(), and
>
> 2) R started crashing on me.The following code
>
> tiff("test.tif")
> plot(rnorm(100))
> dev.off()
>
> ,crashes R (i.e "R GUI has encountered a problem and needs to
> close...") every third time or so.
> When it does work, the resulting output is not too pretty.
>
> So I turned to using postscript files. However, Plos One requires that
> fonts be embedded into the figure.
> embedFonts()  works for this, but the result is that text becomes
> low-res bitmaps, and I don't know how to solve this.
>
> So basically my question is: How should I go about generating graphics
> that will look as nice as possible given the above constraints?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Gustaf

Oh, and before anyone bites my head of, I forgot the following:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
Kingdom.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
Kingdom.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] RWinEdt_1.8-0 Cairo_1.4-2

, and  I'm using windows XP professional

again, many thanks in advance
/Gustaf

--
Gustaf Rydevik, M.Sci.