[R] Pros and Cons of R

seanpor seanpor at acm.org
Fri May 23 14:17:26 CEST 2008

Neil Shephard wrote:

> Another pro to consider is the cost, you can obtain R for free,
> SAS/S-Plus/Stata all have licenses of some sort that require purchasing.
>
> Neil

Which has the side effect of *not* restricting how many machines are
available for use or where; e.g. I was running big process a couple of
different times with different scenarios, so I just fired up a few un-used
machines and had them all running in parallel for the afternoon - no
installation issues as I was able to run it off the network drive (windows
as it happens).  If I was licence restricted this would not have been
possible.

Similarly I can do analyses at home on any machine or even if I'm visiting
somewhere else!

Regards
Sean