[R] scheduling - algorithm solution or iterate?

SocialProgrammer xeverin at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 21 13:59:04 CEST 2008

Our final year students rank 5 classes (1st, 2nd, ..., 5th), and are
allocated 3, based on their choices and a minimum class size.
We want to maximise satisfaction (students getting their higher
preferences), but have a minimum viable class size.
Is there an algorithm out there to help, in R (like TSP for the travelling
salesman prob) or elsewhere, or must I just iterate and locate the highest
scoring ???

Thanks!