[R] Nonlinear regression

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Wed May 21 02:16:56 CEST 2008

There is no question that SAS is a monumental piece of software that has
served the statistical community well for a very long time.  No question
at all in my mind of that.  There is an ugly side to it though.
Possibly unconsciously, it tries to make its culture and customs a kind
of standad for the statistical profession, and some of those customs and
cultural features are, to put it as mildly as possible, rather
unhelpful.

As I said quite a few years ago now, 'SAS seems to be to statistical
computing what Microsoft is to personal computing'.  Or at least it
tries to be, sadly.

W.