[R] Log or diary file

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at telenet.be
Tue May 20 11:21:27 CEST 2008

Agustin Lobo wrote:

> Thanks, but I'm looking for a more user-friendly environment
> that would make the transition from windows to linux
> easier for students using the R GUIs in windows,
> either the "by default" GUI or the SciView GUI (which, btw, are both
> excellent).

Another cross-platform solution which functionally is comparable to
emacs+ESS and tends to please students is the StatET plugin for Eclipse.

Using a script and submitting (the relevant lines) using Ctrl-R Ctrl-V
(which will paste output results directly into the script) might emulate
a diary file.

You can find more information at

http://www.walware.de/goto/statet/

Basically, download and unzip (= installation) Eclipse
classic (stable release) from

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Next, installation of StatET should be straightforward from
the Eclipse GUI via

Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install...
Search for new features to install

Then just use

  http://www.walware.de/eclipseupdates

as a (new) Eclipse update site and walk through the wizard.

To get started (launching R, configuring for Sweave etc.),
you can access the cheat sheets via

     Help -> Cheat Sheets... -> StatET: R in Eclipse.

For questions, there is a dedicated mailing list at

HTH,
Tobias

> Agus
>

> Vincent Goulet wrote:
>> Agustin,
>>
>> Given this message and your previous one about starting R by clicking
>> on the .RData file, I would suggest/recommend you have a look at the
>> Emacs + ESS combination; see
>>
>>     http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R-and-Emacs
>>
>> In my opinion, this is the best multi-platform (Unix, MacOS, Windows)
>> user interface you will find for R.
>>
>> HTH   Vincent
>>
>> Le lun. 19 mai à 03:24, Agustin Lobo a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Is it possible to set a file to which both
>>> commands and output would get automatically
>>> saved? I've tried with sink(), but only get
>>> the output. I mean something
>>> like a combined history and sink, as you
>>> get with File/Save to File.. in the windows
>>> GUI.
>>> Tis is done with diary filename in Matlab,
>>> and you can state diary on and
>>> diary off to control what is being saved to
>>> the file.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Agus
>>>

>>> --
>>> Dr. Agustin Lobo
>>> Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
>>> LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
>>> 08028 Barcelona
>>> Spain
>>> Tel. 34 934095410