[R] R static is dynamically linked!!

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Tue May 20 01:58:02 CEST 2008

On Mon 19 May 2008 at 06:39:39 PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>Hi,
>
>After doing all I could find with the confiure script...
>I set some env too...
>
>export enable_R_static_lib=yes
>export want_R_static=yes
>export WANT_R_STATIC_TRUE=yes
>
>./configure \
>        --prefix=${i} \
>        --enable-R-static-lib \
>        --enable-static \
>        --without-readline \
>        --without-iconv \
>&& make \
>&& make install \
>&& echo "R ${v} installed in ${i}"
>
>But the result is still dynamic:
>
>ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD 4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
>
>Is there some way to make this static?

In http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html I did find:

9.1 Unix

If R has not already be made in the directory tree, configure must tbe run as described in the main build instructions.

Then

     make

will make standalone libraries libRmath.a and libRmath.so. `make static' and make shared will create just one of them.

however...

make: don't know how to make static. Stop

and "static" is not really part of the
Makefile or any Make fragments.  So back
to starting... is there anyway to make it
static?

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><