[R] R is a virus, spyware or malware (gasp!)

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Mon May 19 23:29:54 CEST 2008

And the installed Rgui.exe in 2.6.2 is 10240 bytes, which is
their "most common file size."

They also say (fill in your own comments...):

 > RGUI.EXE has been seen to perform the following behavior(s):
 >
 >     * Can communicate with other computer systems using
HTTP protocols
 >     * This Process Creates Other Processes On Disk
 >     * This Process Deletes Other Processes From Disk
 >     * Executes a Process
 >     * The Process is packed and/or encrypted using a
software packing process
 >     * Accesses the MS Outlook Address Book

and

 > What you should do about RGUI.EXE:
 >
 > Check Your PC Now
 > The most common objects with the name of RGUI.EXE have
yet to be classified as safe by our research department.

So, I suspect that they don't actually classify it as a
virus, they just haven't classified it as safe...  (I
couldn't see any email contact address on their web page.)

-- Tony Plate