[R] Figure environment and includegraphics options from Sweave

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Sun May 18 17:08:01 CEST 2008

On May 18, 2008, at 10:41 AM, BXC (Bendix Carstensen) wrote:

> Tha handy thinb about the fig=TRUE option in Sweave is that you do not
> have to bother about filenames and starting and stpping the device.
>
> I want the the resulting LaTeX to look as:
>
> \begin{Schunk}
> \begin{Sinput}
>> x <- seq(-2 * pi, 2 * pi, 0.1)
>> plot(x, cos(x), type = "l", lwd = 4)
> \end{Sinput}
> \end{Schunk}
>

> \begin{figure}
> \includegraphics[width=0.6\textwidth]{xx-001}
> \end{figure}
>

> i.e. with options to the \includegraphics and all embedded in a figure
> environment.
>
> 1)
> Is there a way to do this without writing the figure environment
> manually?

The Sweave manual (section 4.1.2 in my version) suggests using
something like this before the figure call:

\setkeys{Gin}{width=0.6\textwidth}

This sets the size globally. Not perfect, but it's what I've been doing.
I would myself like the ability to add optional arguments to the
produced \includegraphics call, but perhaps there is a good reason
why this hasn't been implemented (other than that the developer might
not have thought it useful/necessary, which is in itself a perfectly
good reason why this feature is not there).

> 2)
> If not, is there a way to get the generated filename of the plot,
> or to
> explicitly give it
> in the .rnw file? The point of course being to avoid to start and stop
> the graphics driver explicitly?

I haven't tried it, but perhaps if you have a named figure code
chunk, this name is used for the file name?

> Best,
> Bendix Carstensen
>
> Bendix Carstensen
> Senior Statistician