[R] R 2.70 + ps2pdf14

ivo welch ivowel at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:09:10 CEST 2008

thanks, berwin.  yes, I meant ghostscript 8.62, of course.  ps2pdf14
is the equivalent of a distiller and is needed to embed fonts.  (R
does not embed fonts itself afaik.)  if someone knows another way to
embed all the fonts, I would love to know so that I can avoid ps2pdf14
altogether (not just in this example, but generally; I use lucida
fonts most of the time).

if developers from the R graphics group are reading this, given that
this strange output is not just my imagination, maybe it would be
worthwhile to see if the R output pdf could be made more robust to
avoid this "feature."  I stumbled onto it deep in a program, and spend
an afternoon distilling it down to the R script that I posted.  It was
quite puzzling.

PS: semicolons are a hobby, and one explicitly allowed by R.  ;-).

regards,

/ivo