[R] rpart with circular data?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:30:19 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Bálint Czúcz <czucz at botanika.hu> wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> In a similar situation I used the two components of the normal vector
> of the surface ("northing" & "easting"). I.e. for a horizontal plane
> both are 0, for a vertical slope facing south northing=-1and
> easting=0, etc. This descartian decomposition of the slope vector
> avoids the problem of circularity present in the widespreadly used
> polar (aspect, slope) decomposition, and thus seems to suit ecological
> problems much better to me. However I have not looked into this much,
> I am also very interested in the opinion of others.
>
> Bálint
>

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>  I am planning to use a CART analysis with rpart() to analyse the
>>  impact of, among others, slope, altitude and aspect on mortality
>>  rates.
>>  My question is:
>>  Is there a p[roblem with using aspect as a predictor as it is circular?
>>  And if it is a problem (which I suspect), is there a transformation I
>>  could use to transform aspect?
>>
>>  Thanks
>>
>>  Rainer
>>
>>  --
>>  Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
>>  Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>>
>>  Plant Conservation Unit
>>  Department of Botany
>>  University of Cape Town
>>  Rondebosch 7701
>>  South Africa

>>  and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

I would recommend going straight to the source-- modeling solar
radiation. This gives a purely physical-based generalization of
terrain-induced variation in microclimate. Keep an eye out for this
paper, soon to be published in Soil. Sci, Soc, America:

D.E. Beaudette, and A.T. O'Geen. Quantifying the Aspect Effect. Soil
Sci. Soc. Am. J. March 3, 2008. (In Review)

This paper uses a GRASS-based solution to the problem.

Cheers

Dylan